As the ball drops and we ring in the New Year, many of us make resolutions to improve our health and well-being. But what if one of the best ways to do that is simply to get outside in 2024?
Spending time in nature has been shown to have a wealth of benefits for both our physical and mental health. It can boost our mood, reduce stress, improve sleep quality, and even increase our lifespan. So, if you're looking for ways to make 2024 a healthier and happier year, getting outdoors more is a great place to start.
But with so much to do in the great outdoors, it can be hard to know where to begin. Here are a few ideas to help you get outside in 2024:
Hit the trails: Florida has an abundance of stunning trails, from the sandy paths of coastal state parks to the lush, winding paths of inland forests. Hiking is a great way to get some exercise, enjoy the scenery, and bond with nature. If you're new to hiking, start with a short, easy trail and work your way up to longer, more challenging hikes as you get fitter.
Get on the water: Florida is surrounded by water, so why not take advantage of it? Kayaking, canoeing, and paddleboarding are all great ways to explore the state's waterways. If you're feeling adventurous, you could even try surfing or stand-up paddleboarding.
Bike your way to happiness: Biking is a great way to get around and see the sights. Florida has a variety of bike trails, from paved paths in cities to dirt trails in state parks. If you don't have a bike, many rental shops offer hourly or daily rentals.
Go camping: Camping is a great way to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life and reconnect with nature. Florida has a variety of campgrounds, from rustic state parks to private RV resorts. If you're new to camping try a guided campout with Not a Clue Adventures, start with a weekend trip to a campground with amenities like showers and restrooms.
Volunteer your time: There are many organizations that work to protect and conserve Florida's natural resources. There are many opportunities available with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and others. Volunteering your time is a great way to give back to the community and make a difference. You could help at one of your nearby Florida State Parks with trail maintenance, invasive species removal, or environmental education programs.
No matter what your interests are, there's sure to be a way to get outdoors in Florida. So put on your sunscreen, lace up your shoes, and head outside! You'll be glad you did.
In addition to the ideas above, here are a few other tips for getting outdoors more in the new year:
- Set goals. Make a goal to spend a certain amount of time outdoors each week or month.
- Find a buddy. Having someone to go with can make it more fun and motivating to get outdoors.
- Join a club or group. There are many clubs and groups that focus on outdoor activities, such as hiking, biking, or birdwatching. Check out FYCCN for a wide variety of youth and family outings
- Make it a habit. The more you get outdoors, the easier it will become to make it a regular part of your routine.
- Start small. Don't try to do too much too soon. Start with short, easy outings and gradually increase the length and difficulty as you get fitter.
- Dress for the weather. Be sure to dress appropriately for the weather conditions so you're comfortable and safe.
- Leave No Trace. Always be sure to leave the outdoors as you found it. Pack out all your trash and don't damage plants or animals.
Getting outdoors is a great way to improve your health and well-being in the New Year. Not ready to get out on your own? Check out our guided adventures and learn while you play with Not A Clue Adventures!
I hope this article has given you some ideas for getting outdoors more in the New Year. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Happy New Year and Get Outside in 2024
Jeanene and the Team